Posted on: 28/08/2018
Location / Country: Bangladesh
Project Duration: 57 months
Seeking for: Public Finance Management/Social Protection Expert
Work experience: 10 years
The purpose of this contract is to strengthen the capacities of the Government of Bangladesh to implement strategic reform priorities in the social security sector as follows:
- Serve the needs of the poor and vulnerable through a more effective and comprehensive social security system based on an inclusive life-cycle approach - with a focus on the most nutritionally-vulnerable group (pregnant women and young children);
- Demonstrate how reformed social security and livelihood support can together provide sustainable pathways out of poverty and contribute to key nutritional outcomes.
The contractor is expected to provide technical assistance and capacity building to the institutions of the Government of Bangladesh responsible for delivering the reforms of the National Social Security Strategy (NSSS) to achieve the following results:
- Result 1: Strengthened institutional and accountability frameworks and improved coordination of the social security system - including governance arrangements underpinned by a management system, (inter-ministerial) coordination, rationalisation of social security programmes and strengthened sector PFM (planning, budgeting and execution);
- Result 2: Enhanced capacities, at all levels, to manage the social security system, ensuring evidenced-based policy formulation, planning and implementation - through robust systems for information management and M&E and improved monitoring of the nutritional status of pregnant women and young children;
- Result 3: Improved efficiency of social assistance to pregnant women and children under five - ensuring inclusiveness, optimum coverage (rural/urban), adequacy, predictability of benefits etc.
- Result 4: Facilitation of the overall strategic management of the Bangladesh Resilient Livelihoods Programme
Dates: January 2019 - October 2023 (57 months)
Key expert 2: Public Finance Management/Social Protection Expert (600 working days)
This Expert will indicatively work on a full-time basis for the first two years of the contract, then will have intermittent inputs for the remainder of the contract depending on needs (estimated five missions per year). His/her tasks will mainly relate to Result 1, in close collaboration with the Finance Division. He/she will also actively contribute to Results 2, 3 and 4 with a focus on social protection policy and expenditure management reform (including G2P).
General qualifications and skills:
- Master's Degree in Economics, PFM, Public Administration or other relevant field
(or in the case of a Bachelor’s degree, additional 5 years of general professional experience)
- Fluency in spoken and written English
- Excellent reporting skills
General professional experience:
- 10 years of experience in PFM in developing countries or countries with economies in transitions
Specific professional experience:
- 5 years of experience assisting a Ministry of Finance in PFM reform, in particular public expenditure planning, budget formulation, execution and monitoring.
- Specific experience in social protection policy and expenditure management reform, including social assistance and social safety net programmes
- Previous experience in EU budget support programmes will be a strong asset.
Please note that only selected candidates will be contacted back.
How to apply: Please send an updated CV/resume and a cover letter addressed toIlaria Chiarissi, I [dot] CHIARISSI [at] aesagroup [dot] eu
Deadline for Applications: 28/09/2018